Saturday, February 23, 2019

Makoto Shinkai

I have watched most of Shinkai's works and I honestly do not like the comparison to the works and Ghibli's as him becoming the next Ghibli. The works just completely evoke different feelings and emotions in me and feel drastically different visually. To me the first different would have to be Ghibli works always seem to have something to say first and foremost. Miyazaki's works to me just feel like they have a pointed message and commentary on society. With Shinkai's works i feel a greater sense of trying to convey relatability and almost just creating pretty stories of society rather than sending a pointed message. The works are just flat out different. One key criticism I have for Shinkai's works is the narratives are all pretty much the same. Two lovers separated by space and time. It's a formula he dosn't seem to be breaking any time soon especially seeing the success of Your Name. His style is nice, but my god I might just turn subtitles off and mute my tv and look at the art for the next Shinkai work unless he can break out of rehashing the same narrative formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment